Wednesday, October 19, 2011

MY version of Jimmy Dean Sausage


I live in the land of pork, but for 3.5 years I have suffered in silence about the LACK of REAL BREAKFAST SAUSAGE here. Danes don't eat hot meats for breakfast, so I am sure they don't realize they are LACKING in this department!

However after visiting my friend Lisa in Prague last weekend, I found out that I no longer have to suffer.... it IS possible to make your own "Jimmy Dean" pan sausage! And so this morning I did!

The best part is that EVERY SINGLE ingredient can be found in Denmark!

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs of ground pork (which in DK is available at ALLLL grocery stores every day of the week!)
  • 2 TBSP dried sage (salvie på dansk)
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves (nellike på dansk)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2-3 TBSP of Slap Ya Mama (Here is where you can use your favorite cooking spice -- some recipes call for a tsp of black pepper plus a tsp of red pepper flakes, etc...you decide) But you need a little "kick" in your recipe so that is why I use SYM.
First step is to blend all the spices together in a small bowl so that they can be more evenly distributed throughout the pork. Set aside.
Use your hands to really mix the pork...break up any lumps and try to get it as smooshy as possible. Then sprinkle about 1/3 of your dry mix into the pork and keep smooshing... sprinkle another 1/3....and repeat. This will ensure that each bite of sausage has the same yummy flavors.

Form the meat into balls and flatten before putting in your skillet to fry. You do not need any oil or grease to fry them...they make their own which is just enough to keep them from sticking to the pan. Cook them on a low heat because you don't want the outside to cook faster than the inside. Flip, continue cooking, and most likely flip again.

This morning I served them with buttermilk pancakes and when I dipped them in that maple syrup, I thought I had died and gone to heaven...
Tomorrow's breakfast will be sausage biscuits for the road because we are going to Århus and then I have plenty in a freezer bag to save for the next time I want biscuits and gravy!

Bon Appetite!



3 comments:

  1. Dang girl, you are making me hungry! I wonder if I add some maple syrup to the batch, would it taste like the maple breakfast sausage? I must go experiment. I think this weekend we will have to make sausage and pumpkin pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I am going to use maple syrup next time...just to change it up!

    You can also try it with a little garlic for a totally different flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SYM ~ Love it.
    I can't wait to try this. I ended up with a bunch of plain pork in my freezer and was looking for a fun way to use it up.
    thanks for sharing this
    :0)

    ReplyDelete