Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fruit Pizza


This one is an oldie, but a goodie! In fact, I have not made it since I moved to Denmark, but my daughter called me about it because she planned to serve it at a baby shower she was hosting. When I sent her the directions, I remembered how yummy it is! So whether you need something to serve at a shower or a brunch, or just a YUMMY treat for yourself, this dish is perfect!

When I lived in the US, I cheated on this recipe and used the "Pillsbury Refrigerated Sugar Cookie" dough as my crust, but my life in Denmark has forced me to make just about everything from scratch... but honestly, if we ever move back to the US, I am certain that I will keep doing things this way! They just taste better!


Step 1--Make your pizza "crust". (My suggestion is that you do this the night before you plan to serve the pizza so that it has plenty of time to cool before you complete steps 2 and 3.)

Step 2--Make your pizza "sauce".


Step 3--Add your pizza "toppings".

___________________________________________________

The Pizza "Crust" Instructions:
Melt 2 sticks of butter. Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 TBSP of milk, and 1 egg. Mix until well-blended. Add 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 3 cups of flour. Beat this mixture until it begins to pull away from the bowl. Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Remove from the fridge when you are ready to bake. Sprinkle the area where you plan to roll out the dough with POWDERED SUGAR (NOT flour!) Also, coat your rolling pin with powdered sugar. Roll out the dough to fit your baking pan (I use a round pizza stone.), adding a bit more powdered sugar as needed. The goal is that your crust is about 1/4 inch thick. Grease your pan slightly. Don't forget this step or else your beautiful pizza will stick when you are trying to cut it the next day!
Bake 14-18 minutes at 375...or until the crust is golden.

Cool and then cover until the next day.

___________________________________________________

The Pizza "Sauce" Instructions:
Soften 2 packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese.
Mix with one package of powdered sugar (16 oz). Add 1 tsp of vanilla and mix until smooth.
Spread evenly on your cooled sugar cookie crust.
For an extra flair, sprinkle your "sauce" with poppy seeds just before you go on to step 3.
___________________________________________________

The Pizza "Toppings" Instructions:
Choose your favorite COLORFUL fruits. I like to use strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and mandarin oranges (1 can, drained). Slice your strawberries as well as your kiwi. Now you are ready to place your toppings on your pizza. Be creative and arrange the fruits so that the pizza looks as colorful as possible.


Set in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes before you serve.

Slice with a Pizza Cutter and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment