Monday, October 18, 2010

Texas Chili

I have had to adjust a bit.....being in DK.....but in the end, it still tastes fantastic!

In a LARGE POT (we call 'em "gumbo pots" where I come from...):

1. Brown 1000 grams (whoa, I just used metrics) of ground beef with 2 chopped yellow onions and a few shakes of Slap Ya Mama.

2. Add 3 or 4 shakes of Chili Powder and 1 generous shake of CHIPOTLE chili powder. (You cannot use Chipotle powder as your only source or your guests' tongues will never recover!)

3. Add 1 can of Rotel tomatoes AND 1 box of the "Hakkede tomater med Chili".
(Note: Rotel tomatoes are mixed with water and the ones in DK are in more of a tomato sauce. I import the Rotels-- they are tomatoes with green chiles in WATER, whereas the ones we have in DK are in a tomato sauce and have NO spice to them.) If you are in DK, you can use 2 boxes of the Hakkede tomater... if you are in the US, you can use 2 cans of Rotel. :-) I "integrate" the 2!

4. Add 2 boxes/cans/jars of tomato sauce (I buy the boxes in DK as they are super cheap).

5. Add 3 cans of pinto beans. In the US, I used DRAINED Ranch style beans. In DK, I use "Chili Bonner".

6. Add 2 cans of beer (any brand will do!) and 1 can of water.

7. Simmer all of this together for several hours. The longer it simmers, the better the flavors meld together.

8. Serve with Mexican cornbread and top with a dollop of creme fraise and a handful of grated cheddar cheese. And if it is not spicy enough, dice a few jalapenos on top!

1 comment:

  1. Kelli, if you're in a pinch and out of Rotel, you can use the hakkede tomater med chili and then add 1-2 teaspoons (yeah that's all it takes) of knust grøn chili. They have small (110g) jars of it with the asian foods. I've not looked for it anywhere other than Føtex (because I know exactly where it is) but I would assume Bilka and Kvickly both have it as well.

    ReplyDelete