Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Dinner Rolls


I LOVE TO COOK, but I have never attempted to make my own rolls. I really and truly thought I could not! However, I tried this recipe as an option for our Christmas dinner rolls...and THEY ARE DELICIOUS!!!!

And I assure you...these are so yummy you will want to make them more often thanjust Christmas Day!





It is a little bit of work, and takes 2 days to prepare, but I promise...the look on your family's faces when they eat them will make all the work worth it!

Ingredients:

1 package active dry yeast (or in DK, use a little more than 3/4 of the refrigerated "gær" blocks)

1/4 cup warm water

1 tsp sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 cup warm water

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

4 cups flour

Directions:

DAY ONE:
In a large bowl, stir yeast, 1/4 cup warm water, and a tsp. of sugar. In another bowl, beat eggs in 1 cup warm water; add oil and salt. Mix egg mixture into yeast mixture, and add the 1/2 cup of sugar. Gradually add the flour, one cup at a time. Cover with a damp cloth, and allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Then place the bowl in the refrigerator (still covered) and allow to rise overnight. This dough is rather sticky, and will raise to at least twice its size!

DAY TWO:

Flour your hands and then divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each section out into a circle on a floured board. Cut into pizza slice shapes, and roll slices large end to small end. You can also roll these into small balls if you prefer "round dinner rolls" instead of the "crescent roll shape". Place on greased flat baking pans, and allow to rise for 2 hours.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8 minutes. Serve WARM WITH BUTTER!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love fresh rolls! Yum... Even I could make these, I think...

    ReplyDelete